Building Thumbs

I decided to try something brand new to me - pretending I can invent architecture based upon gestural marker sketches.  While they may lack solid structure and logic, it was nice to explore new territory.

I flew through drawing about 10 pages of marker sketches, mostly using curved lines and suggested shapes, with a light grey.  I later went back and fleshed them out with pencil/ink.  Essentially inspired by some methods from 'The Skillful Huntsman' book featuring works from past students at The Art Center College.

With some reflection time, and your awesome helpful suggestions below, maybe the next batch will be cool and I can learn!



Comments

  1. hey man some of these are pretty cool. it seems to me you would benefit from having a topic/era/architecture style to focus on. do a few studies first and then do 5-10 pages of drawings. (that is alot) Also, if you don't have it then pickup rapid viz...great book for this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the suggestions. I think that not picking a theme is just killing half the idea of trying to concept something (well, more than half) so I suppose this was more technique intro and shape exploration...solid advice that will be attempted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to say that you should pick up a notebook of graph paper to do these doodles on. Some of your buildings are a little slanty, and graph paper will help not only with that, but also with symmetry without having to constantly measure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment